• Doris W H

What food is poisonous for your dog?


People's Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat:


  • 90% of animal poisoning are accidental and happened at the owner's home

  • Dogs make up 70-80% of all animal poisoning cases

  • Fact: Chocolate, gum and grapes were the three most frequently reported people's food poisoning for dogs

Chocolate

chocolate toxic to dogs

Why it's toxic? Chocolate contains methylxanthines which are toxic to dogs.


Fact. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is


Symptoms. 4-24 hours after ingestion. Vomiting,

dehydration, abdominal pain, restlessness, severe agitation, rapid breathing, irregular heartbeat, high body temperature and seizure.


grapes toxic to dogs

Grapes or Raisins


Why it's toxic? Unknown


How much is toxic? 16 grams per 1 pound of dog


Symptoms. Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, dehydration, difficulty urinating and kidney failure.


Onions, garlic and chives

Why it's toxic? Onions, garlic and chives contain thiosulfate which can damage a dog's red blood cells


Symptoms. 2-4 days after ingestion. Lethargy, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, fast heart rate, anemia, paleness and icterus yelowwing of the skin, gums, or whites of the eyes.




Gum / Candy


Why it's toxic? Chewing gums and many candy contains xylitol and artificial sweetener that is fatal to dogs.


How much is toxic? per pound of body weight


Symptoms. 15-30 minutes after ingestion. Lethargy, vomiting, loss of coordination, low blood sugar, seizures, dark red splotches on gums and insulin release, which can lead to liver failure.


Alcohol

Why it's toxic? Mainly ethanol, but many alcoholic drinks contain grapes (wine) and hops (beer), which can be fatal to dogs


Symptoms. 15 minutes to 2 hours after ingestion. Confusion, hyperactivity, loss of coordination, vomiting, increased urination, difficulty breathing, decreased temperature and seizures.



Macadamia Nuts


Why it's toxic? Unknown


How much is toxic? 1 gram per 1 pound of dog


Symptoms. 12 hours of ingestion and can last approximately 24 to 48 hours. Weakness in rear legs, tremors, fever, vomiting and hyperthermia.


If you think your dog's been poisoned


  1. Remove your dog from the source of poison.

  2. Contact your vet immediately - inform them when, where and how the poisoning occurred. If appropriate, take the packaging, plant or substance to the vet. Don't expose yourself to any harm.

  3. Follow your vet's advice.

If you think your dog's been poisoned

  1. Remove your dog from the source of poison.

  2. Contact your vet immediately - inform them when, where and how the poisoning occurred. If appropriate, take the packaging, plant or substance to the vet. Don't expose yourself to any harm.

  3. Follow your vet's advice.

Preventing poisoning in dogs

At home

  • Keep human's food in cupboards away from dogs

  • Keep houseplants away from dogs reach and frequently collect dropped leaves and petals.

  • Keep pesticides away from areas dogs can access

Outside

  • Ensure housing and exercise areas are free from, and not overhung by, poisonous plants and pesticides

  • Ensure dogs' water supplies cannot become contaminated and change regularly.





63 views0 comments